Sunday 1 June 2008

Real news

Now that I'm commuting to work on the train, I've started picking up the free paper from the station in the morning and noticed that I've been getting increasingly depressed about the world. There's so much focus on everything that's going wrong - and the afternoon one's even worse.

I think we are all aware that we shouldn't believe everything we hear in the media. We actually live in a time of unprecedented peace:
- "violent crime has decreased as we have moved into modern times"
- "The levels of both interstate and societal warfare declined dramatically through the 1990s and this trend continues in the early 2000s, falling over 60% from their peak levels"
- I've also read that in terms of estimates of exposure to violence per person over human history that, even allowing for last century, we are still improving. (Does anyone have a reference for that?)

So, where can we find the real news? Here are some sources that I have come across that promote the good news that's happening out there in the world every day. I will now be making an extra effort to read these sources of news and support the organisations that produce them.
- Positive News (http://www.positivenews.org.uk/) is a subscriber based newspaper that is sadly only produced quarterly, but has 75,000 subscribers
- PNN - The Positive News Network (http://www.positivenewsblog.com/) - I love the name of this one
- Global Good News (http://www.globalgoodnews.info/) gathered by the Global Country of World Peace

I'll be aiming to read these from now on for my news, which will improve my outlook on things and I guess will help to promote this model. Do you know of any other good ones?

No comments: